rrdtool calculator link

Post by egarnel »

found this neat tool for rrd calculations when checking out nmis
http://sins.com.au/nmis/rrd_calc.xls
Cacti1 OS: CentOS 5.6 | 300+ devices
Cacti2 OS: CentOS 5.6 | 300+ devices
King of the Elves
Local Anarchists Union #427
"Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others." -Edward Abbey
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Very nice. That would be a good tools addon under utilities.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Think I will translate that into a perl script/web page, because not all of us have Excel.. :)
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Shall we race? :lol:

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

No, you win... :P
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

I was thinking of Ajax, but then, we would be talking about 0.9 ;)

TheWitness

psyber
Cacti User

Post by psyber »

What specifically will you be using for AJAX in 9. I wouldn't mind tackling this as I already have an XLS version on steroids and one in the pipe thats a Perl CGI with AJAX. I've done AJAX before with Perl using scriptaculous and I'm looking to picking up a bit of PHP so its really all the same only different :)
I also wanted to expand it a bit to include all the stuff for Holt-Winters in the initial RRD definition. (Yet another learning curve)
---
Actually after thinking about this, this could all be done client side with a static web page using only javascript.
----
After about an hour last night of cutting, pasting, cussing, and remembering exactly why it is I loathe javascript so much I have the basics covered. I just need to make it prettyful which may take longer than it did to actually get it working. :wink: I'm also still toying with the idea of implementing RRA:HWPREDICT, RRA:SEASONAL, RRA:DEVSEASONAL, RRA:DEVPREDICT, and RRA:FAILURES just for completeness sake and my future sanity's sake. Does anyone here have any experience using these?

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!
fmangeant
Cacti Guru User

Post by fmangeant »

Moving to addons.
[size=84]
[color=green]HOWTOs[/color] :
[list][*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=15353]Install and configure the Net-SNMP agent for Unix[/url]
[*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=26151]Install and configure the Net-SNMP agent for Windows[/url]
[*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=28175]Graph multiple servers using an SNMP proxy[/url][/list]
[color=green]Templates[/color] :
[list][*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=15412]Multiple CPU usage for Linux[/url]
[*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?p=125152]Memory & swap usage for Unix[/url][/list][/size]
psyber
Cacti User

Post by psyber »

Here's version 1.
I got interrupted while working on this and I don't think I will get back to it for a bit so I figured I'd post it up and if anyone wants to move forward they will at least have a starting point.
Please feel free to absorb this into the tools plugin or where ever you think it best fits.
~p
Attachments
rrd_calc.zip
RRD calculator
(3.45 KiB) Downloaded 3672 times
psyber
Cacti User

Post by psyber »

Has anyone found this useful? I'm thinking of finishing what I started but don't want to put too much work into something no one uses. Feature requests/bug reports????
incudie

Post by incudie »

Hey Psyber,

I played around with it a bit,

Looks awesome, it took my inputed values and gave me the appropriate RRD commands.

I'm just not sure what I personally would use it for.

Would you use this in creating new templates?
psyber
Cacti User

Post by psyber »

Well I can only tell you what I've used it for. We don't currently use cacti at work due mostly to issues with our supported production environment but also in some features that aren't quite where we need them in cacti. It's all getting better and at some point we will move monitoring to a cacti install.

Currently we have a "home grown" solution that works pretty good but is lacking in the polish and usability areas. Most of the time its plug and play, just add something and the scripts take care of adding the device and setting up the rrd. Now and again we have something odd we would like to monitor that requires a different poll cycle or we would like to keep more accurate data for longer periods, what ever the case it happens now and again. The first time I had to do this manually it took me a day of reading and trying and head banging to figure out all the numbers and what they do.

I spent a lot of that time sifting through posts in these forums on how to define a large rra without data loss http://docs.cacti.net/node/54 and how to alter your poll cycle and how that affects the rrd. As cacti moves toward variable polling knowing how to tweak the numbers becomes a little more important (then again knowing the developers that may be done via cacti magic and all very seamless) Either way the xls file was useful to me and having it's functionality web accessible makes it even more useful. I don't know how useful it is to others but it it saves anyone time and headaches I'm on board for further developing it.
jt555
Cacti User

Post by jt555 »

psyber wrote:Has anyone found this useful? I'm thinking of finishing what I started but don't want to put too much work into something no one uses. Feature requests/bug reports????
Why not make a javascript version part of Cacti? Would it be possible to estimate file size with it?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

jt555 wrote:
psyber wrote:Has anyone found this useful? I'm thinking of finishing what I started but don't want to put too much work into something no one uses. Feature requests/bug reports????
Why not make a javascript version part of Cacti? Would it be possible to estimate file size with it?
I am sure it could be worked out. You would simply need to know the in's and out's of RRDtool. Feature request would be good. Post it at http://bugs.cacti.net

TheWitness

psyber
Cacti User

Post by psyber »

Heres version 2

A few improvements with the output
added some of the Holt-Winters stuff (possibly more to come if theres interest)
added a rough filesize estimator (I don't know what the overhead is for a rrd but this is within a few Kb)

This version isn't as clean and the javascript is probably the most inefficient way of doing things, but it works. Feel free to make improvements or post here with bugs.

~p
Attachments
rrdcalc.zip
(5.09 KiB) Downloaded 4035 times